Sunday, August 21, 2011

Creepy-crawlies

Well I have to admit that I am not too fond of creepy-crawlies, especially if they have 8 legs...
But browsing through my pics I suddenly found out, that despite my sentiments, I actually took quite a few pics of these interesting and really beautiful creatures.

Like in the Kalahari...

Where I came across an Armoured Ground Cricket for the first time in my life.




















And watched this Mongoose that was as much interested in her as me...



During another stay we discovered these Caterpillars of the African Wild Silk Moth.
There were thousands and there were everywhere on the roads especially in the north of Nossob.
A week later we saw cocoons hanging in every tree like little lampions.




















Then there are the Blister Beetles, shiny black (very fast moving) beetles...
They are pretty, but do not come too close, in stress they use a defensive secretion of a blistering agent.



Now let us have a look at the Millepedes or Shongololo.
There are quite impressive specimen in the Kalahari.
It is amazing to watch how they move all their "feet" like a wave.




















I found this beautifully delicate and amazingly detailed insect (Ant Lion) clinging to the door of the hide in Nossob. Just look at the wings, the tiny hairs on the legs and the antennae.




























But Kruger offered us creepy- crawlies as well....
Like this Golden Orb Spider. Beautifully coloured and with a net strong enough to even capture small birds. Although I think she prefers insects as food ;-)






Close to the entrance of the Skukuza nursery we found the biggest Grasshopper I have ever seen, this one here was about 8-9 cm long.



A Praying Mantis, in my opinion the most beautiful insect...
Stroll along the boardwalk of the Nursery Wetlands and you find loads of Insects there.



And yet another Armoured Ground Cricket just to show you the amazing details of their impressive "armour"...



I think this shows just how beautiful the allegedly icky creepy-crawlies are.
Have a closer look and appreciate the awesome diversity of nature.



No comments: